NEW REFUGEE RESETTLEMENT SCHEME ANNOUNCED
18 June 2019
The UK will continue to resettle thousands of vulnerable refugees under a new scheme announced by the government on Monday.
The scheme will replace the existing Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme which is due to end in 2020 and has so far seen almost 16,000 refugees resettled from camps in the Middle East.
Home Secretary Sajid Javid said that the UK would aim to resettle a further 5,000 under the new scheme:
“I’m proud of the world-leading work we have done in the Middle East and Africa so far, but there is so much more to do.”
Citizens UK launched a national campaign last year calling on the Government to extend the scheme beyond 2020. In response to the announcement Citizens UK member, Reverend Cathy Wiles, from All Saints West Dulwich said:
“Today’s announcement is welcome news and means thousands of families who desperately need this lifeline, can arrive in the UK via safe and legal routes. However, this should be the first step in a longer commitment if refugee resettlement… is to flourish.”
In its statement the government also noted that "the success of resettlement in the UK [to date] has been achieved working in partnership with over 300 local authorities who are participating in delivering the current schemes."
Elmbridge CAN has been working with the local Council to resettle and support families under this scheme. Elmbridge CAN Chair, Steve Wells, said:
“We’ve helped Elmbridge Borough Council to resettle 5 families under the Vulnerable Person Resettlement Scheme so far. We’re delighted that the scheme is set to continue. We’ve learned a lot in the last 3 years and we’re looking forward to building on this success and making sure our expertise and the passion and support from the local community does not go to waste.”
If you’d like to help us resettle more refugees in Elmbridge, please check out our property appeal, or get in touch to find out how you can help.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
Read the full announcement.
Image: Freddie Finn / Elmbridge CAN